The Culver Line viaduct, located between the portal of Carroll Street Station and the portal south of the Fourth Avenue Station, was built in 1930. The goal of this project was to rehabilitate the concrete viaduct deck including by removing existing track, performing DC and signal work and installing cables within the viaduct limit to permit repair and rehabilitation of the existing concrete deck.
The work included the removing and replacing the existing waterproofing, protection concrete, and the deteriorated protective netting from the underside of the concrete deck. Upon starting the work, it quickly became apparent that the deterioration of the concrete structure was far greater than anticipated, which posed a scheduling risk because the new waterproofing could not be installed until the structure was rebuilt. Some areas of the viaduct were so badly deteriorated that they presented an immediate safety concern for the riding public and surrounding buildings. Judlau worked together with the Owner to expedite the critical repairs without any major disruption to train service.
The work also included the replacement of ballasted track with low vibration track (LVT) using LVT resilient concrete blocks. There was also a significant amount of signal work, including the replacement of signal switches, D.C. work, providing new turn outs between track B3 & B4, convertng witches 25 N/S to diamond cross over (new interlocking), and installing new CBTC ready signal switches within the viaduct limit. A new signal relay room was constructed to support the addition of the interlocking and CBTC signal. A new central instrument room was also built.